Monday, January 4, 2010

Hidden San Francisco

Welcome to Twenty-Ten, y'all!
Since the mural is now resting nicely, I'm now continuing this blog endeavor with items that deserve your full attention.
Thusly I proceed...as I was walking thru Union Square this past weekend, there was that magical moment of when I happen to have a camera handy and I saw an image that was perfect for a shot.

Right in front of San Fran's other great meat palace (Tommy's Joynt is the other) that venerable institution known as Lefty O'Doul's happened to have their sidewalk delivery elevator open on O'Farrell and Powell.In all my years walking passed or even entering this joint I've never seen the elevator open. Not only do I really dig the signage (ya gotta love that tilting font!), but that hand-painted character is just great! How many hybrid chef/baseball players do YOU know?The character design & the line work is kinda "in" at the moment and there's just a bunch of copy-cats out there now (me included). But the mere fact that this is hidden underground most of the time and was hand-made by an anonymous artist just transcends all these concerns.

No comments: