Wednesday, January 6, 2010

One of the most bizarre films ever made...

Stills of this film have surfaced recently on design blogs like Ffffound.com
...and I've seen grainy stills in old film history books from the 70's.
So, it was with great anticipation when Netflix graciously sent it over in one piece to our apartment (we've received chipped Netflix DVD's in the past - hey, it's Ghettoflix, what else?) and Anila & I spent a cold Sunday afternoon underneath a warm blanket watching this epic hallucination known as "The Holy Mountain (La montaƱa sagrada)" (1973)
Directed by everyone's favorite eccentric Polish-Mexican director Alejandro Jodorowsky this movie was relentless in layering images that would make the throats of Sarah Palin fans parched from screaming "Sacrilege!"



Though I'm not a fan of "shock for shock's sake" since I do appreciate a good story more than fancy backdrops & effects, this film, however, just had the right amount of chutzpah to keep each scene interesting & well paced. It also had enough naked amputee midgets & frog/lizard explosions that would guarantee it never EVER being made in today's film market.
Hey, it was also financed by John Lennon & Yoko Ono, so they had a great budget to make these huge, incredible sets, hundreds of hand-made props and a thousand extras!

If you do see it, please write to me to let me know what you think.
I'll reply saying that it's actually a very meaningful film...

P.S. I read that the director is currently working on a big surreal gangster epic with Marilyn Manson as a 300 year old pope...how about them apples, eh?

1 comment:

Cushion Works said...

Hey Bub!

The exploding Inca frogs and lizards has always bothered me. PETA would be all over his ass if it were made today.

Have you seen El Topo?? Netflix has it too.

Jodoworsky is a wonderful comic book author. Next time I see you I'll bring you a few volumes!

G