Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The actual painting of the mural begins!

Got to Kinko's as soon as they opened this morning to print out the Victorian house as a 15 X 24 inch print. I wasn't happy with the trace of the projection of the house that I did yesterday and I thought a print spray mounted on card would make a cleaner image.
Picked up a spray can of clear shellac from good ol' Soko Hardware in J-town, grabbed all the finished stencils, and set up a spraying center at the bottom of the scaffolding.
Card and paper are porous materials and shellac helps keep the stencils from getting soggy from multiple applications of paint.
Here's my temporary installation that lasted less than 2 hours:


So, I sat down with my feet dangling off the edge, taped up the mountain stencil, and sponged on the paint. Seemed I was up on that scaffolding for hours and, yet all I got was the beginning of the top right of the design.
By the time I was done, it was dark and it was only 6pm!
Didn't have a light to shine on the wall, so I took a shot with a flash through the conference room window. It came out kinda dark, but you can get the gist:

Oh, btw, the paint for the mural is from Precita Eyes Mural Arts, a great non-profit arts organization dedicated to promoting mural making & teaching mural arts in the community: http://www.precitaeyes.org/
They sell their own acrylic paint specifically designed for murals. The folks down there were really helpful with all my questions about outdoor murals. If you're down on 24th St. in SF's Mission District picking up a double scoop of Secret Breakfast at Humphrey Slocombe, make it a point to swing on by their Visitor Center as well...it's well worth it!

No comments: