Sunday, November 15, 2009

The mural told me it was cold and I gave it a coat - and then 3 more!

That mural's got more coats on than what I've got on my coat rack at home!
Not much fun reporting about a whole day of brushing on the varnish by hand, except for the fact that I had Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi doing his "Brush up/brush down" shtick stuck in my head.

Anila took some shots when I first started and here is how the final mural looks like in the daylight, before the varnish.

The varnish didn't add a gloss sheen to it, but it sure did help bring out the colors!
With the recommended 4 coats of the stuff, I've been told that the varnish is super tough - deflects harmful sun rays with its UV protection muscles, defends color brightness from the ravages of Time, and it even has secret ninja anti-graffiti powers!

After I finished the last coat on the upper deck of the scaffolding, I gave a final appreciative glance of the view from up there. I have no reason to go back up there now, so I had to have one final look. Even the barking dog from a nearby building made an appearance and he made it known that he still didn't like seeing me up at his level!
But the view of a San Francisco sunset over City Hall, the Bay, and downtown I know you can get from any high rise apartment in the area, but not necessarily when you're on top of 4 stories of scaffolding & covered with paint.

Well, I promised you, dear friends, a picture of me with Rene's harness on and Anila was able to take this shot. I crammed all-night for final exams in college for this?

No comments: